Saturday, September 5, 2009

our newest addition


(best dog ever- Chipper "little guy")
in the background of the picture


(my little bear)



(Our newest addition)
name to be announced


My childhood dog, Chipper, passed away this May; It was very tragic and heartbreaking for me. He lived a very long life (17 years old when he died) and I still cry when I think about him. I remember the day we decided we should put him down, I laid next to him for hours listening to comforting music while I pet him and said "everything is going to be okay little guy". When my dad called to make Chipper's final vet appointment {to put him to sleep} it killed me to hear that horrible conversation. We had a few hours to spare before the appointment so my mom wrapped him in a blanket and my family sat in the family room sharing our fondest/funny memories of him. Driving to the vets office was the hardest thing because I knew this would be the last time I would see my best friend. When they called his name to the back room, I nearly collapsed as my brother had to hold me up. It was one of the most difficult days for my family because Chipper was one of those dogs that will NEVER be replaced. He is a legend in the Feddick household.

So now that Neil & I have purchased a new house, my mom asked that I take my grandma's dog, Bear, with us. We inherited Bear my senior year of High School when my grandma passed away. Bear and I are very attached and she sleeps beside me on the floor every night. She can not stand it when I pay attention to anything besides her. After Chipper died, I felt so bad for her because she is alone all day. I always look at pet classifieds, never seriously, because I was afraid I would hurt her feelings with a new addition.

Last night I came across an ad for a miniature Sheltie on the internet and a piece of me just melted. [When I was a baby we had a miniature sheltie named Teazer, but her life was cut short because she was hit by a car.] When I saw this little puppy in the ad, something inside of me said, 'this has to be our dog'. Even though Bear is possessive when it comes to our relationship {ha} I think she needs a companion. Our new addition lives in Kentucky and according to her current owner she is well mannered, keeps to herself and will not get heavier than 13 pounds.... which is perfect for Bear! So here we go adding another challenge to our busy upcoming months; a new puppy! I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment